This Week's Stories:
Panos Is Wumped (Windows plus Pumped)
- - Panos is running a new combined Windows and Devices team.
- - JoeB is going to OXO
- - What will PC OEMs do?
- - Key takeaway: This is good for Windows and for Microsoft
- - Related: More reorg news of the day. Teper is going to run Teams. And Jeff Weiner is out as CEO of LinkedIn.
Microsoft controversies of the week!
#1 Surface Hub 2X: What's happening
- - After a leak claimed that Microsoft was delaying or even canceling Surface Hub 2X, Microsoft revised its plans (again, remember this is the second major delay/issue).
- - What the heck is going on with Surface?
#2 Microsoft Store/UWP on the decline
- - Another nail in the coffin: Microsoft is shutting down the ad-based monetization of UWP apps in the Store.
- - But which coffin? This probably says more about Microsoft Store than UWP.
#3 BingJacked: The sequel?
- - Windows Search is down for many this morning. It's back now (but you probably need a reboot or 3)
Microsoft at MWC
- - Microsoft will show off some stuff at MWC, but nothing like last year. Looks like Paul is staying home.
- - We're a week late and a dollar short, but let's talk about Microsoft's earnings.
- - Microsoft earned $11.6 billion on revenues of $36.9 billion in the quarter ending December 31.
- - Windows had a larger than expected contribution
- - Paul's business-by-business analysis
- - There's a new System Update (2002, of course) coming in February
- - Microsoft launches a new Xbox Bounty Program
Picks of the Week
- - Tip of the week: Give Game Pass for PC a shot
- - App pick of the week: Outlook ... on mobile, not the PC
- - Enterprise pick of the week: System Center 2019 Update Rollup 1 is out
- - Codename pick of the week: Aruba
- - Beer pick of the week: Allagash Tripel
Hosts: Leo Laporte, Mary Jo Foley, and Paul Thurrott
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly
Check out Paul's blog at thurrott.com
Check out Mary Jo's blog at AllAboutMicrosoft.com
The Windows Weekly theme music is courtesy of Carl Franklin.